We are excited to announce a new WalkUP Rozzie initiative: the Roslindale Village (Walkable) Film Series! Because we fervently believe everyone should be able to experience great movies in a community setting accessible by foot or bicycle. Sadly, the historic Rialto Theatre disappeared decades ago, leaving only the adjacent Rialto Barbership behind, but we are committed to revival. We’ve got six films lined up to start, to be projected for free screenings in a variety of private and public locations. Ultimately, we aim to identify a permanent comfortable space for high quality community film watching and discussion, but there’s no time like the present to get the ball (or film) rolling. We’ll always have the latest updates at http://walkuproslindale.org/film.
Our private-residence film screening locations have limited seating, so we ask that you RSVP in advance to get the street address. We’ll update the posting for each event if it fills up. RSVPs for the public locations are also appreciated.
Without further ado, here is the initial lineup — click on the entry for more details and to RSVP (links will be updated over time):
- Thursday, March 3 @ 6:30PM – Holding Ground — Private Home on South Street
- Thursday, March 17 @ 6:30PM – The Friends of Eddie Coyle – Private Home on Taft Hill Terrace
After his last crime has him looking at a long prison sentence for repeat offenses, a low level Boston gangster decides to snitch on his friends to avoid jail time.
- Thursday, March 31 @ 5:30PM – Making a Killing – Roslindale Branch of Boston Public Library
The personal and political stories of how guns – and the billions of dollars made off of them – affect the lives of everyday Americans.
- Thursday, April 14 @ 6:30PM – Burning Greed – Roslindale House Auditorium, 120 Poplar Street
A locally-made documentary following arson-for-profit conspiracies in 1970’s Boston – a forgotten, true story of heroism, activism, and corruption.
- Thursday, April 28 @ 5:30PM – The Thread – Roslindale Branch of Boston Public Library
- Saturday, May 7 @ 2PM – This Changes Everything – Roslindale Community Center (Sponsored by Greening Rozzie)
An epic attempt to re-imagine the vast challenge of climate change and capitalism.
A film by Greg Barker that documents the role of social media in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.
Sponsor and Partners: Sponsored by WalkUP Roslindale in partnership with GreeningRozzie, RozzieBikes, Roslindale Village Main Street, Friends of the Roslindale Library, Roslindale Pub Night and Longfellow Area Neighborhood Association.